Sunday, June 02, 2013

Finally

I have been thinking about this for a long time now. A really long time. I have been inspired by women I know who have gone ahead with this and around this time last year I decided that I too would follow their footsteps soon. I wanted to sponsor a child. How soon? I wasn't sure. Why? Yes, I wanted to make a difference in some way or the other in a kid's life. Or it might be for selfish reasons too. For that happiness it brings me when I help someone - the feeling's priceless. I always had a soft corner for kids and last year too I involved myself in philanthropy keeping kids in mind. So I guess it was only natural that I would choose this path.

I was looking at World Vision's website recently and I just had this strong feeling that now it's the time to go ahead and do something that I wanted to for a long time. I contacted them and I was given prompt answers to all of my questions. I finally took the plunge and now I am sponsoring a sweet little Indian girl with the warmest smile ever. I hope to write letters to her. But since she cannot read or write English as of now, I am hoping that those employed at the organization would translate it to Telugu for her. Sponsorship is a long term commitment. There are no agreements as such and you can stop whenever you want to but I intend to sponsor her till she's educated properly and can fend for herself. 

The whole point of writing this post is not to boast about what I did. I am hoping someone or the other would find some inspiration from this post and take steps to ensure a better future for kids in India. You can go to World Vision India and do your bit today. 

I would also like to dedicate this post to a wonderful group of people I met online on FB - the IndiBlogeshwaris. Akanksha introduced me to this group of women bloggers and I can't help gush about how enthusiastic and fun they are. These ladies are always ready to share their everyday life experiences (making you admire them - the things they do and how they deal with problems), applaud you when you have done something credible, wipe away your tears when you are down in the dumps and crack the most insane jokes which make you smile even if you are all cranky or depressed. They have inspired me in so many ways. I don't get to comment on posts as much as I want to but I do tend to read them all ardently. They are turning one today and what more can I do than dedicate such a post to an inspiring group of zealous people. Happy 1st anniversary IndiBlogeshwaris! You people are truly the ultimate rockstars.


16 comments:

  1. That is wonderful. Hats off to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work! Awesome. Wish you all the best

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a beautiful thought! I love the idea of sponsoring a child, especially a girl child! Good for you and so glad to be part of such an amazing group of women!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to know a bit more about you Dhanya! And really admire you for your noble gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is exemplary Dhanya. As you said, it is a long term commitment. You are a good soul. :)

    Dagny

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is indeed a good deed you are doing. Will check the website and see what I can do too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos to ur initiative and all the best with it :) Dhanya. Glad to know U via indibloggeshwaris and ya happy annvrsry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Inspiring Dhanya ! Such a good deed :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow it was such a coincidence. I too recently decided to sponsor for a visually challenged boy's education. Its a really nice feeling. Good work and good luck to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea of yours. I hope the child you've sponsored makes her mark on the world

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dhanya, I know that feeling. It is amazing. And trust me soon.....you are gonna habour a whole lot more of those. Trust me, been there, done that. Good luck and thanks for sharing this with us.

    PS : Please get rid of word verification!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that sounds inspiring...keep going ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great initiative, sponsoring a child! Seriously believe, those of us who can afford it, should do our small bit for others in the way we can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What you have done is really commendable. Keep up the good work and nice knowing you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Dhanya, you are definitely one of those "bloom where-ever you are planted" women. :D Wishing you continuous joy on your new commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i loved Cna ka comment <33333333333333333333333333333
    Dhanya blooming indeed :D

    Proud of you big sister :) :)
    You have had a terrific year so far!! Keep up the good work and aim for higher stuff because I know you are capable of so much more <3 <3

    Loads of love to u <3

    ReplyDelete

Scribble away....!