Friday, January 06, 2012

To My Sun and My Moon

Once upon a time there lived this girl called Dhanya who absolutely used to cringe at the sight of crying (and need I mention pooping?) babies. If a baby puked or soiled their diapers in the sitting room, you would find Dhanya running away to the bedroom. If the baby started crying in the bedroom, Dhanya would slowly tiptoe towards the sitting room -- you get the picture. Now many many years have passed (well, not so much, I'm not that old yet) and the story now seems to have changed. Dhanya is not the same Dhanya, and babies don't make her uneasy or uncomfortable anymore. How did this happen you might ask? (Note - Even if you didn't ask yourself that -- just for the sake of this post, please do). Stay calm folks, for this sensational story is about to be disclosed.

On November 20th 2001 my first jigar da tukda entered this world -- my niece. I didn't cringe as much but the pooping/crying story remained. I remember dad informing me about her arrival in the wee hours of the night. I met her and was absolutely mesmerized by how she looked - so delicate, innocence personified. I remember looking forward to coming back from my classes (I was still in school then) to meet her, pick her up and get enchanted by her gurgles and how soft, smooth she felt. It's a feeling that cannot be expressed in words. But man, was I in love ! She's now going to be 10 years old (big girl now) and I can't help feel how fast time has fled by. Nakshu says such grown-up things now that I do a double-take and go "Wow, when did you get so big?" with plain disbelief. As of recently, she said something like "Don't worry mema, everything will be alright" and I could feel my heart swell up with so much of love and admiration for my little angel who is not-so little anymore.

Then on Feb 16th 2010, my second jigar da tukda made his presence felt - my nephew. He didn't appear delicate as such -- he looked stronger and sturdier as compared to his elder sister. But it was love at first sight for the second time around! With Yadhu, I became accustomed to changing diapers, cleaning him up, giving him food, rocking him to sleep, giving him a bath, getting up in the wee hours of the morning and all that jazz especially when my sister got bedridden with pneumonia. The tiring part was that he too got sick at the same time and I had to carry him around most of the time. It made me look like a zombie somehow and I wondered how my sister was able to handle 2 kids in the house. He's the happiest baby I know and as of currently his interests include food, staring at cute girls, food and more staring at cute girls (strictly in that order!).

I cannot define the joy these two bring me. They ignite my maternal instincts (you've got to be an aunt to believe that) and I'm awfully protective about them. I want only the best for them, and I hope the future only has the bestest of the best plans laid out for them. If not, the so-called 'future' will have to deal with my infamous tantrums! ;)



To Nakshu and Yadhu (my Sun and my Moon).. you will forever remain my sweet little babies! With lots of love - your mema.

20 comments:

verbivorehere said...

so cute!!! i can sso much relate - im still proud to claim that I (and not my bhabhi or bro) was the first one to hold my nephew after he was born :)

verbivorehere said...

so cute!!! i can sso much relate - im still proud to claim that I (and not my bhabhi or bro) was the first one to hold my nephew after he was born :)

sawan said...

I was just thinking, 15 years from now – how would yadhu and nakshatra react reading this post :P

Surya Kannan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Me said...

Sweet... :) the pictures are beautiful.

I am sure they will give you many reasons to feel proud of them.

Bikramjit said...

aww blesss
i guess just like me i am also so close to my nieces and they share everything with me :)

my best wishes to both of the lovely souls and to you toooo :)

Bikram's

Nilu said...

Beautiful pictures!!!! Amazing!!!

Pria Rao said...

Thats so sweet of your babies. Blessing them to have loads of fun with their aunt!
I miss my niece alot. I too was accustomed to feeding and cleaning.. but only when she pees.. I am too much away from potty diapers :)

Suruchi said...

That's so much love-and yes, babies do fan the maternal instincts...they are the cutest of a bunch and you a cutie mema...

there is nothing better than having a sister and you make me miss one now for myself and my daughter:-)

COMMUNI said...

so sweet dear :) my niece chinnu too grew up in our home. My cheriamma got her to our house when she was just 40 days old. I too learned about the mother in me because of her.

Nidz said...

Chanda Hai Tu, Mera Sooraj Hai Tu O Meri Aankhon Ka Taara Hai Tu :)
My sister is pregnant and I am so excited. Can relate to ur feelings now.

swati said...

:) I could relate to this post...God bless your sun and moon..and you too..mwaahhh gal its been so long that i blowed kisses to you :) catch it!!!

Meow said...

Very cute post... Lovely Dhanooo :) I am yet to become Aunt.. But whatever you enjoy now will be same for my sister:) Since am elder :)

♪♪Happy Go Lucky♪♪ said...

Thats so sweet!
Yea, they do look cute :)

PS: I've never really liked kids much and i'm waiting for that instinct to arrive :P

mOhan said...

I'm sure they'll be proud of their aunt just as much as her aunt is..:)

Chriz said...

good news.. did i read between the lines?

Jaggu said...

Really cute. God bless them.
Updated my blog.

Elvirah said...

Your jigar ka tukda's are so cute and adorable and who would n't fall in love with such innocent hearts like you did. Can't resist a beautiful life with little hands and little feet and a innocent smile so appealing.

PULKIT said...

amazingly cute post
one word reply to which might be "awwwwwwww"
:* they are beautiful.
god bless them!

PS - Reading this post makes me remind of a book called "where rainbows end", read that one if u get a chance. U'll love it!

Mrutyunjay said...

You know right here in the middle of this reunion ... The music is loud ... But this moment that you captured ... felt like I was lost in reverie ... The moment seems to be stuck like a refrain from an age old compilation of priceless yet incomplete work of a lesser known poet. Reminds me of lyrics from "Reverie" ... When you speak you flicker your eye lids ... And your green eyes glance over my face. (the unvoiced conversation between you and the child) :)) '...Someday ....