Monday, June 13, 2011

Continental Breakfast Gone Wrong

When you visit a star hotel and you see "continental breakfast" on the menu card, most often than not you expect something like this -


Agreed that continental breakfasts are not so heavy, but in a typical one you will see at least one non-veg item -- eggs, salami, bacon or sausage. But instead you just get this -


When I saw this plate, I was wondering where the rest of my breakfast is. I waited for full five minutes thinking that soon enough they will bring the rest of the items, but alas the food never came! My relatives had already started digging into their appams and veg stew. They looked at my plate and gave me a sympathetic look. "Always order South Indian food at South Indian restaurants" is their motto. Alas, the last thing I want to eat from outside are food items which I keep eating regularly at home. At least eat something different when you go outside, no?

Mom (grinning after seeing my plate) - "You mean, this is continental food? From which continent exactly -- one that is deprived of food? :D"

Needless to say I was highly unsatisfied with the end product so ordered a plate of scrambled eggs to go along with my "continental breakfast". The Indianized version of scrambled eggs involves the use of turmeric powder, onions, tomatoes, green chillies and what not. The scrambled eggs that I ordered came plain, and needless to say my relatives weren't impressed with them either.

"Such a dull color. They haven't even put turmeric!"

"No onions? So plain looking. No chillies and tomotoes either. Not colorful like how we make."

Now I wouldn't want them complaining about my scrambled eggs either so I mouthed a spoonful and said, "But I prefer them this way!". My mom nowadays doesn't think twice before smirking at me - "Today I have made special continental breakfast for you".

Moral of story? Where there's a continental breakfast, there might not always be taste-bud tickling items. Next time, I will just order appam and stew. Hmmph.

17 comments:

  1. :D :D

    Health conscious :P

    When I read the title, I was expecting a super fiasco recipe :P

    Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha.. Tragedy I tell you.

    Been reading your blog for a LONG time without commenting so thought I will make an appearance again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like Ooty (esp after reading about the scrambled eggs part.. :P )

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm...once bitten twice shy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL.

    Moral of the story : "Always order South Indian food at South Indian restaurants".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your posts always bring a smile to my face :) Anyway next time I will be wary of ordering Continental in South India Restaurants :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. geehahaahaahaaaaa...was just imagining the anti-climax look on ur face;-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh, haahahaha :D
    yes ive had my such moments too!
    we expect the same kind of service and food as it were in the middle east right? :D

    i ordered dhal makhani here in a new restaurant and got one rajma curry instd :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. these places have made me believe that, continental breakfast means just a slice of bread/butter/jam~!!
    :(

    so odd would be ur plight, when everyone enjoying their food :!

    well, loved the "i like it that way" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just toast for continental breakfast is pretty much akin to the American low rent motels whose 'continental breakfast' is invariably donuts.

    In the US, Australia, Singapore, NZ, anywhere I can think of really, a continental breakfast is cereal, toast, fruit, juice, and coffee or tea. One with hot food is the American breakfast. So perhaps this place was counting on people like me who would be a little disappointed but not outraged.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first picture you have well thats what is called a Full monty here jsut one thing missing two slices of bacon :) this is the full english breakfast ...

    I think I have come for first time here i wonder why ..

    I need to come and try this in india sometime he hehe

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ordered for garlic bread in a restaurant, and got two pieces of nearlt burnt toast with butter spread on it and- wait for it- garlic pieces chopped up on it. Sigh.. I guess I should've known better than to order garlic bread from a Mallu beach restaurant, slightly shady at that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hahaha...never knew even Dubai hotels are like this

    ReplyDelete
  14. ROFL!!!
    SO Funny!!

    Btw, I read your story in the Chicken Soup (Ive read it on your blog before, but i still wanted to read it in the book :P)
    Congrats again :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hy,
    chanced upon your space while blog hopping..lovely space you have..
    very interesting posts..nice write up..
    Am your happy follower now..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha..real real tragedy!

    visiting for the first nice blog you have. would drop in again to read more.

    tell then
    keep writing and
    take care !! :)

    ReplyDelete

Scribble away....!