Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Big Fat Indian Wedding

As expected, I wasn't sleepy at all the night before the big day. It wasn't really because of anxiety but more so to do with the big fuss around. The excitement was contagious and the worst part was that I wasn't allowed to be a part of all the late night chats and discussions coz apparently I needed my 'beauty sleep'. Damn it! At that time, I really wished it wasn't MY wedding!

I tied the knot at around 5 30 in the morning and I don't really remember much what happened on the temple podium then. I think getting married this early in the morning is a good thing coz you are not really in the mood to freak out or get those pre-wedding pangs. Why so? Coz you're just too damn sleepy! The only thing that you're most likely to think about is how sleep deprived you are. We were given a set of fast instructions which were carried out even faster. In most of my pictures taken at the temple you will see me looking at the priest with a smirk on my face -- an indication that I couldn't still believe that my wedding was taking place and this being only a part of a very funny reality show.

Next on, I had to change my saree and put on the numerous ornaments. Numerous ornaments you ask? Haven't you ever seen a South Indian wedding? Geez! Shame on you! =P Anyway, I had strictly told my mom to bring on just a few necklaces but the sly fox that she is, ended up bringing her entire set and then made everyone in my vicinity cajole me into wearing them.

"Dhannu, your wedding no? You SHOULD wear all these ornaments. You will never get this chance again!" (What if I NEVER wanted a chance to wear them in the first place?)

In midst of all this, someone said 'Soooo much gold on suchhhh a little body' and I almost had a 'Eureka' feeling. At least someone felt the way I did. That person was hushed out of the room and was never to be seen again....

As if all the gold wasn't enough, the wedding photographers came running behind me with 'Pics, madam!'. I don't mind a pic of mine being taken now and then, but if you end up taking 5-10 pics in a row, I am sure to thrash the camera on your head! I feel sorry for the photographers now that I think of them. No, I didn't do anything so barbaric. I just glared with an occasional 'enough is enough!'. R was very sweet and cooperative though. Then again, he wasn't wearing gold that weighed a ton along with a flower garland that seemed to weigh another ton! All that weight can affect any 'little girl's' mood. Being a South Indian pennu can be so damn tough at times....

Attending your own wedding is not much fun coz -

1. You cannot enjoy the food as much coz the photographers 'click' your every move. Irritating!

2. You cannot cry in peace. I saw my crying face for the first time in the wedding video while I was leaving to R's place... and now I know why people howl with laughter whenever I cry. Blergh.

3. You cannot join your family members and chit chat with them. Instead you meet strangers you have never met in your life asking you 'Do you know me?'.

4. 'More pics, madam?'

I am so relieved that I don't have to go through all this again! ;)

Some Moments -

32 comments:

DI said...

Congrats Dhanya! The pics look real nice :D

Aksh said...

Aww...Dhanya...lovely pics!!! God bless you both with alll the happiness in the world.

I am a south Indian too..on my wedding day I felt just like the way you did.....ugh!!tons of gold, changing sareers 2-3 times, photographers capturing every move even wen the bride is bit teary!!...nevertheless my wedding day remains one of the most memorable days of my life!

فاطمة نصرط said...

Been there!! Done that(those!!) :)))

Nice pics Dhanno :)

God bless you guys.

And yes , south Indian weddings and Jewels.. x(((( Even the guests wear a lot :P

Melissa said...

Welcome to the club.... now u know what I meant when I said u'll fell like killing people.... oOw whenever someone gets married u just feel sympathy for the poor woman and all she has to endure on her "Special" day... BUt it's sooooo damn worth it right? hey and the strangers at least they don't pull ur cheeks and tell u how much u've grown....

ANWESA said...

I'm rolling with laughter after reading this :)

Ria said...

Omg!! A wedding at 5.30 in the morning sounds torturous. And yea i hate jewellery too...that too gold jewellery is something that i just can't think of wearing.

I can totally identify with the all the points coz i m about to go thru the same in a few months from now. Will be getting married by this year end. :)

moonlite:D said...

congrats Dhanya!!

Pesto Sauce said...

Congrats dear, wishing you a long and happy married life....yes own weddings are memorable indeed

Pics look real good

Life 24*7 said...

Lovely post and pics ! Congratulations to you & your hubby once again and keep up your humourous tone in your writings, it is extremely likeable !! I guess this little girl might have weighed suddenly a lot more on her wedding day !! Thats call putting on and losing weight in a flash (once the gold & garlands are off)Cheers !!

Gaurav Kant Goel said...

:)

There are only 2 kinds of people in this world - Married and Unmarried..

Nice pics.... :D

Pria said...

hey congratulations!! nice pics :) waiting for few mor piks n nxt posts.. :)

Abhinav said...

hehe.. amazing post and congras 100000th time..

Yes I agree you actually dont want to be inside ur own wedding. Been there done that :P.. not the wedding but the thread ceremony part!

:) wish u the best of all forever.. ma u hv more gold ! :P

Sonali Saxena said...

So cool dhanya! Hearty congratulations! :))

Me-Era* said...

Kerala Wedding Equals Gold weighing more than the bride. :D

Please collect your award here -->
http://lavender-woman.blogspot.com/2010/08/100th-postfinal-year-friendship-day.html

sagarika said...

haha..such a cute post.grt pics..god bless both of you yaar...Eventhough I am not married I understand how it feels to wear so much of gold. I wonder y Indians love gold so much!:D....they look like mini gold shop :P

Girls are the stars for that 1 day. So they enjoy all the attention from everyone including the cameraman..haha...I can't wait to go through this 1 day..:P..once I go through this my feedback mayb same as urs..who knws?...

The Bald Guy said...

Congratulations sister! My little girl is well and truly grown up now!

Good Luck!

Madhu said...

how cute was that..weddings can be a pain sometimes though...but for a day,its managable no?

ZB said...

WOW, congrats.....Happy married life.....First few days or rather months are the best part of being married....then starts the fights, arguments, etc.:D.....and then you wonder why u married and not listen to all those words of wisdom from veterans.this is not to discourage you but welcome to the fightclub young lady!:)

And ditto ditto the irritating photographer, in my marriage too. And by the end of it all i had a verbal with the guy, and he explained to me in gospel words that ""its all for me, when i look back after 50 or so years i would thank him for capturing those wonderful years of yore""""....But i do enjoy my photo album, after 5 years....Have fun...marriages are indeed once in a lifetime affair...shadi ka ladooo..khaye to be pachtaye and na khaye to be....:)

Sameera said...

=)
Nothing else to say- too much happiness!

nikita said...

heeheee..i can understand how much funny and crazy it could be...vl have to go through all this..
sigh...

and "do you know me"...lolz...i too ask my bhabhis...don't you know me...dekho bhaiyya...heehee..

Mads said...

I loved the 'do u know me?' part the most =))
and whatever u thought inside ur head, thank GOD it doesnt show on ur face :D were u faking all those pretty smiles in the pics or did u really enjoy them? post se toh lagta hai u faked them only :O

kidding.. :D I still can't believe ur married... :|

Mads said...

I loved the 'do u know me?' part the most =))
and whatever u thought inside ur head, thank GOD it doesnt show on ur face :D were u faking all those pretty smiles in the pics or did u really enjoy them? post se toh lagta hai u faked them only :O

kidding.. :D I still can't believe ur married... :|

I'll try 2 be truthful said...

*Soooo much gold on suchhhh a little body' and I almost had a 'Eureka' feeling.*

hahaha!!!
you look perfect :)

Arati Harikumar said...

Hey hi!I read ur blog for the 1st time; Congrats for ur wedding :)
and must tell u i so relate to it....esp the jewellery and southie girl part and that's also bcos am a mallu too :P !! And yes i was laughing my heads off after reading this!!

Hope u have a gr8 married life!!
Do visit my blog too sometime tkcr!!!

R. Ramesh said...

congrats and best wishes:)

WarmSunshine said...

oh wow.... that was just wow... im thrilled to read this post :)

best of luck babe!!!

Anirudh Induchudan said...

good pics

lostworld said...

Hehehe..Sounds like fun :) Great pictures. You look gorgeous miss..oops, madam! wink. Love the header too.

Nostalgic said...

Wow, you look pretty!

Angel said...

congrats !! nice pics

South Indian Wedding said...

Nice pictures - thank you :)

viddhi said...

CONGRATS. though its a li'l late.

hope you two have a beautiful life a ahead!