I have to talk about 10 things that annoy me but will be penning down only 5 coz of time and space restrictions.
And here I go…
- Fake accents : If you have been around with British or Amreekan people most of your life, I can very well understand where the accent came from. But what if a person, till yesterday, who talked in pure, non-accented English all of a sudden developed a slight twang in his words?
December 2008. A party was being held on a cold cold night. Alcohol was flowing, PJs were being cracked and good food was being served. Everything was going fine until IAmCoolButYouSuck said :
“Yuck! This juice does not have any sugah!”
Me (totally shocked) : What ??
IAmCoolButYouSuck : No sugah in juice!!
Me : Whatever happened to your accent ?
IAmCoolButYouSuck (slightly embarrassed coz I innocently (?) asked him a question in front of his dozen fans) : What ? I always used to have this accent…
Me : What nonsense M! Yesterday you were talking properly. On top of that you studied at ISB where there are no British students….
IAmCoolButYouSuck : (looking left and right) I have a lot of British friends!!
Me : Wow! You made so many British friends in a single day ?
This made IAmCoolButYouSuck so irritated, he pledged to pull my leg for the rest of the evening. I will skip that part of the conversation coz
it was so embarrassingit would take up an entire post!
- Boring conversations with prospective grooms : I have been advised by Pri (my cousin) not to initiate talks when I meet a prospect coz she thinks I might end up talking too much without giving the guy much of a chance to ask anything back.*Sigh*..
I decided to go by what Pri said and what can I say…. what followed was long periods of silence. The prospects usually ended up looking at my feet, which resulted in me looking at my feet to check if anything’s wrong with them (my feet, I mean). I now know that’s what first timers do when they dunno what to say.
- Friends gone missing : It annoys me when the few interesting, crazy people I meet end up getting busy with love, life or career. Anu Susan Sam, you’re badly missed! She liked me to the extent of dedicating her first blog post to me.
Check it out :
- Do not empty your Parachute bottle on me! : It annoys me when my relatives think my dark brown hair is a result of not putting enough coconut oil. Malayalees find it hard to believe that dark brown hair colour actually exists! Each time I head back to my grandparent’s, I am subjected to the same thing :
Aunt : Coloured your hair ?
Me : Nopes…
Aunt : Aaah! Result of no oil…
Me : Nopes…
But who listens? They end up draining the whole bottle on me. The result – a shocked expression when they see a shimmering ‘brown’ instead of ‘black’.
- When kiddos flirt : This doesn’t really annoy me. It doesn’t amuse me either. But how would you feel when 11th and 12th grade students say things like ‘Even if you fall, I would be there to catch you *wink*’ ? Huh ? Huh ??
And this is where it ends. Feel free to take up this tag
if you’re jobless. It would be interesting to know what annoys you guys (for later purpose)!