Friday, September 12, 2008

The Spirit of Onam.. and Ramadan.

Happy Onam!

Onam has interloped with Ramadan this time around… which thankfully has reduced the consumption of alcohol (somewhat) amidst the Hindu community in Bahrain. I know some of the guys right now are just hoping against hope that they were living somewhere out of the Gulf just for this month. But of course, there are some others who were prepared for this and have stocked away enough vellam that would ensure them sailing smooth for this entire month.

In Kerala, the sale is expected to reach a whopping 200 crore during this 10 day festival. Some of the workers are going to spent more on liquor than on food. I still haven’t figured out what men find in these tasteless fluids. Ok, I have tasted it all. Just a sip.. to see what the fuss is all about*. And they are good for just that – a sip. So I am just assuming the only reason for people to get so enthu about alcohol is coz apparently it gives them a ‘high’.

I can’t believe I started with wishing you all a happy Onam and ended up talking about alcohol. Aah, the spirit of Onam ;) Lets get to the good things… the feast, the pookalams, the happiness… which can be experienced only if you are in India. So I won’t be getting too much into that. I will not be having any Onam sadhya for lunch this time around coz my mom is in India and being Ramadan season we can’t order any sadhyas from outside either. So please please please eat your scrumptious lunch keeping me in mind….!!!!

What I did get to have is Bahraini food at Diplomat hotel yesterday. It was an Ifthar party. My first! Family friends invited us. We (me & dad) took this as an excuse for not cooking and headed out without any hesitation. It was an all you can eat buffet costing 11 BD per person (approx. 1300 rupees.) A lil too much. But who cares ? We weren’t paying for it :P The food was oohhhhkay. Nothing great. Bahraini food tends to be either too sour or too sweet. The grilled chicken was too rubbery which couldn’t be cut apart even with a sharp knife. My friend saw me struggling with it and then whispered to me ‘Don’t even try cutting that. I already did, and gave up.’

The biriyani was nice though, so was the falafel and samosas (samboosas as they call it). A slice of black forest cake along with Rose sherbet filled up the last tiny space left in my stomach.

So now its back to noodles, sandwiches, hotel food in case the experiments in the kitchen turn out to be disastrous. *Sigh*

Mommmmmyyyyyy….


*To my future childen : Your mommy wasn’t a drunkard. I bet she is now.. looking after your irritating, heartless, ‘no time for me’ father. Everyone used to talk to me about their husbands in that way, so am assuming your father is the same. But do tell him, I like him anyway…