Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Anita & Me

I dunno anyone called Anita. Lets get that straight first. Once in a while I like to enjoy those offbeat films ('arty' films for some). I got so fed up with the regular diet of song n dance movies that I just had to see something meaningful AND interesting. I don't seem to enjoy all the sweet candy floss movies anymore. MY GOD! WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH ME ?

For example : Jaane Tu.. Ya Jaane Na. Almost everyone and anyone enjoyed the movie. I saw it in India itself. With my cousins. I begged one of em to transfer the movie into a pen drive from his college lab computer. I sat down and I was able to predict what was gonna happen during the first few scenes itself i.e, Aditi getting depressed over an animal dying..

Me : Am damn sure, its an animal.. a dog..
Cousin 1 : Hmm... are you sure it isn't a monkey ? (sarcastically)
Me : Or it might be a cat...

Then they reveal the huge portrait of the cat.. and I go 'Aha!!!' at my cousin who stares disgustingly at the screen. So it was more a case of predicting things correctly which was more enjoyable for me than watching the movie. I loved Prateik Babbar's performance though. Even the wife talking to her dead husband's portrait is kind of lifted from the TV series 'Hum Paanch' though in that the roles were reversed - the husband talked to his dead wife.

I didn't like the movie. I was sad I was the only one until Sumaiya voiced the same about the movie. So yay! ;)Soul sistas...

Back to 'Anita & Me'. Its an adaptation of Meera Syal's book. Meera Syal herself appears in the movie as Meena's (the main protagonist) mom's best friend. Its a simple story. Meena is living in Britain and can't seem to understand why her life has to function the way it does. She wants to have fun. She doesn't believe in her roots. She can't understand why she has soooo many relatives who when they come home keep pinching her cheeks till they bleed. She can't speak her mother tongue fluently at all and she's made fun of by her so-called relatives cos of that. She can't understand why she can't have fish fingers and chips for lunch instead of the heavy oil filled dishes her mom lovingly serves her.

In midst of all this commotion, an English girl captures her attention. She tries really hard to befriend her and she succeeds! She sees Anita's (the British girl) way of living.. and slowly but surely, she starts recognising and respecting her own roots.

The only irritating part I found was the British accent. The tone with which Chandeep Uppal (Meena) talks is really really flat. But the film is interesting. I never felt bored even for a moment.

Think am entering into a phase where I am appreciating a different genre of movies. I still go for those lovey dovey type movies thinking I might actually like em but its been a really long time. I think the last one I liked was uh... hmmm...

.............
..........
.......
.....
...
..
.
DDLJ!!!!!!!!!! :-O (seriously, it took me that much time to think..)

So till the time the next DDLJ comes out, its 'prediction' time folks!