Thursday, April 13, 2006

Nesting In

Reaching back home after a long journey, instead of feeling downright tired.. I felt a strange sense of ecstacy. Inspite of the fact that I had slept only about 1 and a half hour or so the previous night, I was able to hold on. I did my morning rituals, had breakfast and then plopped into bed. What made me stay all awake till then ? Just the feeling of reaching back home...

I was a hostelite for 1 year, and I had enjoyed it. I liked being with my friends. Thought of staying there till my course gets over. But that didnt happen. When my mom came back from Bahrain, and when I was back at home... the entire plan went haywire!! The word 'hostel' started to irritate me. I started going more from home sweet home and eventually vacated my room at hostel to let the other unfortunate souls occupy it. Maybe it was the pampering. Mom giving in to my sulkings, being able to do what I want without thinking about others, eat when you want to , never having those hunger pangs again.... there was something about home which was magnetic.

The good thing about hostel is that you can study a lot without any distractions.. right ? WRONG ! With so many people your age , so many things to talk about and so little time.. where is the time to study ? And after all the interaction, you lose all your energy.. hence you go eat and straightaway go to sleep. The marks remain the same. When you reach back home, there is still no time for studying coz you missed out on all the TV viewing when you were at hostel. So you become a couch potato and sit in front of the TV to see what Tulsi is upto in kyunki and Prerna is upto in kasautii. All the extra food also makes you more drowsy and you go to sleep. And you wake up again at night to chat ( In my case, with my dad) at 11 pm coz the rates go down. Who the hell would study after that ???

College life is certainly about all play and no work whether you are at home or at hostel. So parents please take note. If your kid has pledged never to study when he/she enters college, your pushing, cajoling, moving kid to hostel, back from hostel to home wont do any good. Whats the solution ? Let the kid do what the kid wants to do...