Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The death of a celebration

Now that Onam celebrations have started. I cannot help wondering it is not the same anymore. I remember when I was a small kid, I used to sit on the verandah of the main sitting room in my mom's house where I could see my aunts and cousins dancing around the flower-filled circle. What do I see now ? Practically nothing. Just people gossiping, wearing nice bright dresses. These are all part of bringing a family together I agree. But what about the traditional practises associated with the celebration ? It all seems to be fading away fast.

Another thing I happened to observe is the decline in the pookalams set up outside the houses. Out of 10 houses, I may have passed on the road, only 1 or 2 have them. And Onam is considered to be the festival of flowers. If there are no flower decorations around anymore, what is the main significance of Onam.. ?